Even though tomatoes are a New World food, their popularity and versatility have earned them a noble place in many world cuisines. Morocco has made creative use of this versatile food, as this recipe can attest!
- 2 1/2 - 3 ounces sesame seeds
- 8 large, ripe tomatoes
- 5 ounces olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Preheat oven to 275º.
- Heat a dry frying pan and toast the sesame seeds for 2 minutes while stirring. Keep aside on a plate.
- Put the tomatoes in an oven-proof dish, add the olive oil, and bake for about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Then quarter the tomatoes and remove and discard the skin and seeds. Cut the tomato flesh into small cubes (about 1/2 inch).
- Bring the honey to the boil in a saucepan and lower the heat. Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Leave to simmer for 2 minutes. Put in a serving dish and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Leave to cool before serving.
Did you enjoy this Moroccan Recipe? If so, why not share it with your friends? Leave a comment below to let us know what you think, too!